Nutty, chocolatey, and creamy - this Toasted Hazelnut Hot Cocoa will keep you warm all winter long. It's super easy to make and an awesome way to elevate your traditional hot cocoa!
call all chocolate lovers!
To all of my chocolate lovers, this one's for you! This Toasted Hazelnut Hot Cocoa is SO good. Warm milk and cocoa powder with a little dark chocolate and hazelnut cream come together to make this hot cocoa unforgettable. I also added a little nutmeg for good measure.
To top it off, I toasted some hazelnuts in butter, cinnamon, and a pinch of brown sugar. Pour the hot cocoa into your cup, add a little whipped cream with the toasted hazelnut on top. And just - like Wow. Just wow. So good!
what do i need to make toasted hazelnut hot cocoa?
- Cocoa Powder - I used Guittard's Cocoa Rouge Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, however, any cocoa powder works!
- Milk - Again, I used whole milk, however, you can use any kind of milk that you'd like!
- Dark Chocolate Chips - this really deepens the chocolatey flavor! It also thickens the hot cocoa a bit and makes it nice and rich!
- Sugar - for sweetness!
- Hazelnut Creamer - to give the hot cocoa that nice nutty flavor. I tried both International Delight's Hazelnut Creamer and Califia Farm's Hazelnut Creamer and they both were delicious!
- Hazelnuts - to toast and add on top!
- Whipped Cream - because whipped cream makes everything better!
- Vanilla Extract - for added flavor 🙂
how do you make toasted hazelnut hot cocoa?
Start by roughly chopping up the hazelnuts. Add butter to a large skillet and add the hazelnuts. Add cinnamon, pinch of salt, cinnamon, and a pinch of brown sugar.
Toast in the skillet for about 7-8 minutes over medium low heat. Remove from heat and let the hazelnuts cool for about 3 minutes. Rub them between your hands to remove the skin and set aside.
In a large pot, add in the milk, cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, sugar, nutmeg, and pinch of salt.
Warm over medium low heat until chocolate chips are melted and mixture begins to bubble slightly - do not bring this to a boil.
Remove from heat and add in the vanilla extract and hazelnut creamer and stir together. Add to a cup, top with whipped cream, and sprinkle toasted hazelnuts on top 🙂
more recipes you'll love!
- Salted Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Coffee Marble Cake
- Red Wine Hot Chocolate
- Mocha Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
HAVE WE CONNECTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA? NEVER MISS A RECIPE BY FOLLOWING ME ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND INSTAGRAM!
Let's stay connected on social media and continue to cook together! Also, if you decide to make this recipe, please leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below! Tag @BritneyBreaksBread on Instagram and hashtag #britneybreaksbread so I can see your creations! I hope that you love this recipe as much as we do!