Indulge in the irresistible flavors of autumn with these fluffy pumpkin cupcakes, each bite delivering a perfect blend of warm spices and velvety pumpkin goodness. Topped with a delectable cinnamon cream cheese frosting and salted caramel, these cupcakes are the epitome of seasonal delight in every mouthwatering bite.
We're well into pumpkin season, but I have been waiting all year to release this recipe! Not just because it's Fall and these cupcakes are amazing ... but because along with these yummy cupcakes, I'm announcing the release of my Fall and Holiday Baking e-CookBook!! and this is one of the recipes from the book! It's 20 recipes of decadent treats that'll rock your kitchen this holiday season.
The holidays are my FAVORITE time of the year and these moist pumpkin cupcakes are on constant rotation from September onward. Plus, my kids LOVE them. My oldest likes to play with the piping bag and ice the cupcakes which honestly makes my heart burst.
These are the perfect cupcakes for a halloween party, any of the holidays, and just a delightful treat to celebrate all things Fall. (you don't even need icing, the unfrosted cupcakes are delicious all on their own!)
If you're ready for the BEST pumpkin cupcake recipe, make this recipe below or from my e-cookbook so you can have it forever!
(full list of ingredients in the recipe card)
Canned Pumpkin puree - you can even use a homemade pumpkin puree, just be sure to cook out any excess water. Do not, I repeat - do not use pumpkin pie filling!
Brown butter - this is for the frosting recipe. It adds an extra step but gosh it's delicious!!
All Purpose Flour - I used Bob's Red Mill's Unbleached All Purpose Flour!
Vanilla Extract - be sure to use a quality vanilla like Rodelle's Fairtrade Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla!
Pumpkin pie spice - to enhance that pumpkin flavor, it's a must. You can use your own or make my homemade pumpkin spice blend! It's full of ground nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, and all of the delicious Fall spices.
Maple syrup - just a smidge of maple syrup really adds a nice touch of sweetness and moisture - making these the best pumpkin cupcakes EVER.
Sour cream - this adds so much moisture, it's an absolute must!
Neutral oil - I use vegetable oil but avocado, corn, canola oil, or peanut oil also work! Adding an oil provides the best results and ensures that even when the cupcakes cool down, they're still super moist.
1. Preheat the oven to 350oF. Line a 12- cup muffin tin/cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt in a large bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, pumpkin puree, and oil. Whisk together until combined and sugar begins to dissolve, about 2-3 minutes. Then add eggs and sour cream and continue to whisk until all ingredient are fully incorporated.
4. Add dry ingredients (flour mixture) to the wet ingredients and fold together until just combined and there are no patches of flour in the batter.
5. Fill each cupcake cup until about 3⁄4 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely in the pan. Repeat for remaining 4 cupcakes.
6. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the cream cheese frosting. Add cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat for 3 minutes, then add butter and continue to beat for another 2 minutes.
7. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cinnamon. Mix on low speed, then gradually increase to medium speed. Add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract. Continue to mix for 4 minutes.
8. Frost cupcakes and drizzle with your favorite salted caramel sauce!
Store your pumpkin spice cupcakes in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap. It's best to store the cream cheese frosting and the cupcakes separately. The frosting has to be refrigerated while the cupcakes are best stored at room temperature.
Here are some of my favorite pumpkin desserts:
I would like to spotlight the sponsors of this cookbook! Bob's Red Mill, Duluth Trading Co., and Rodelle! I have to extend heartfelt gratitude to the sponsors of this cookbook their generous support! Their dedication and belief in my culinary endeavor to make this dream a reality is met with immense appreciation.
Want more delicious and beautiful recipes? Subscribe to my newsletter, where you'll hear about new recipes FIRST and get tantalizing and exclusive perks!
Let's stay connected on social media and continue to cook together! Also, if you decide to make this recipe, please leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below! Tag @BritneyBreaksBread on Instagram and hashtag #britneybreaksbread so I can see your creations! I hope that you love this recipe as much as we do!
Tag us on the gram @britneybreaksbread to be featured in our stories!