Homemade Snickers Bars! What more can I say? This is everyone's favorite candy bar - except it's homemade! It's delicious and tastes just like the store bought bars - you have to try this recipe!
Homemade snickers bars are so good! But have you tried these White Chocolate Browned Butter Pineapple Lemon Bars with Mint? They're the perfect treat!
Homemade snickers bars
Chocolate, peanuts, caramel, and nougat. These ingredients come together in the best way possible. I think that I can speak for a large majority of the population when I say that there's nothing like a classic Snickers Bar. However, making them at home... makes them even better. The homemade nougat with marshmallow fluff and peanut butter topped with peanuts and then coated in salted caramel?! Then covered in a mix between dark and semi sweet chocolate? It's a match made in heaven and I just love it.
These homemade snickers bars are what dreams are made of. You have to give this recipe a try! Compare it against the store bought snickers bars and see which one you prefer 🙂 Also, while you're here, you have to see these delicious Chocolate Coconut Almond Flour Bars and these Cookie Butter Truffles made by my friends at Bake From Scratch!
what is in a snickers bar?
A snickers bar consists of peanuts, nougat, a nice layer of caramel, and then coated in chocolate.
For these Homemade Snickers Bars, I used the following:
- Nougat: marshmallow fluff, creamy peanut butter, powdered sugar, and a little butter. Mix all of these ingredients together and you've got your first layer of homemade snickers bar!
- Peanuts: I used dry roasted, unsalted peanuts. When I tested this recipe with salted peanuts, the salt was a bit overpowering so I stuck with unsalted.
- Dark and Semi-Sweet Chocolate: So I tested this recipe for Homemade Snickers Bars three times and the first time I used only milk chocolate. It was a bit too sweet (if that's such a thing). The second time with dark chocolate, solely. It was a bit too bitter. So, third times a charm! I mixed the two and it was the perfect balance of flavor.
- Caramel: For these Homemade Snickers Bars, you can certainly buy your own caramel to use, but there's nothing like making your own caramel! Not to mention, it's super easy, see below:
Making your own caramel isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds, but admittedly, it took me some time to perfect it! I hope that this video helps as I now find it super simple. I think that the first few times I made caramel, I wasn't paying attention and caramel is one of those things where you can NOT leave the kitchen! You have to stay there and watch it. Like super closely. Because if you turn away even for a few seconds, the sugar can burn and you'll have to start all over again! Burnt caramel is not very tasty. lol
how do you make homemade snickers bars?
I think that this recipe is fairly easy. However, I noted this as moderate in the difficulty department because it takes patience and things get pretty messy!
Once everything is compiled, start by mixing together the ingredients for the nougat. If the peanut butter is too stiff, you can microwave it for 30 seconds. Of note, the mixture will be streaky at first but will become smooth after mixing adequately. About 1 minute, if that.
Next up, line the square pan with parchment paper and smooth the nougat layer to fit the pan. Add peanuts and refrigerate for 30 minutes and allow it to set.
next up, let's make caramel!
So as I mentioned, you can certainly buy your own caramel for these Homemade Snickers Bars. It will work all the same! However, if you'd like to make it, stick with the ingredients below and watch this video to see how easy it is! Simply add sugar to a sauce pan over medium heat and stir every 20-30 seconds, allowing it to melt. Once melted and all clumps are gone, turn off the heat and add butter, stirring constantly. Once butter is melted, add heavy cream and continue to stir constantly. Lastly, add salt and stir that in too! Then you're done! You have the caramel layer for the Homemade Snickers Bars!
Pour the caramel on top of the nougat and return to the refrigerator for an additional 30 minutes.
time for the chocolate layer!
Melt the dark chocolate and the semi-sweet chocolate chips together in the microwave or stovetop in a double boiler. I suggest following the package instructions for melting the chocolate as it's easy to burn, especially in the microwave!
Remove the bars from the refrigerator and cut in half. Then cut again into slices/bite size pieces resembling the pictures here! Or, any shape that you like! Add each piece to a cooling rack and spoon chocolate on top, ensuring the entire bar is coated. Add to a piece of parchment paper and allow the chocolate to set by adding the bars back in the refrigerator. If you'd like, you can top with flake salt or any leftover chocolate that you may have!
Yes, of course! See below 🙂
- You can use almond butter in place of peanut butter if you're allergic or do not like peanuts.
- For both the caramel and the nougat layer, if you'd like to make this vegan/dairy free, you can substitute butter and heavy cream for a vegan/dairy free alternative.
- If you're watching your sodium, you can omit the salt and use unsalted butter as opposed to salted butter.
be sure to pin this recipe to your favorite pinterest board!
HAVE WE CONNECTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA? IF NOT, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND INSTAGRAM!
Let's stay connected on social media and continue to cook together! Also, if you decide to make this recipe, please leave a star rating in the recipe card and leave a comment below! I hope that you love this recipe as much as we do!