This Spiced Pear and Almond Cake is one for the books! Riddled with chopped pears and bursting with cinnamon and cardamom flavor - this cake is super moist and tastes heavenly. It's easy to make and even easier to eat 🙂
This easy one layer cake is so good ya'll! It's such a simple cake but all of the flavors come together so well - soft pears, cinnamon, and cardamom surrounded by a fluffy cake and topped with sliced pears and almonds?! What!? This spiced pear and almond cake is nothing short of amazing.
It's easy to make and super impressive. This recipe incorporates anjou pears (the green ones) that are chopped and folded into the batter, a little almond extract, and then a lot of love :). The anjou pears can typically be found year round so no worries about sourcing of ingredients. That being said, this is the perfect recipe to make for any occasion. Especially with a scoop of ice cream.
Spiced pear and almond cake - ingredients!
Last year, I made Pear Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting! Ever since, I've been obsessed with baking with pears because I then tried making a Pear and Gorgonzola Puff Pastry for a savory take on pears. They're so much fun for both sweet and savory recipes.
So, when I made this recipe, I knew that I wanted to add some umph with some spice. Not hot spice, but spicy spice - like warm and cozy spice. And I'm so glad that I did because it turned out incredibly. See the list below!
- basic dry ingredients - all purpose flour, baking powder baking soda, and salt
- spices - cinnamon and cardamom, brown sugar and granulated sugar
- wet ingredients - milk, eggs, and almond extract
- salted butter - specifically Minerva Dairy butter, my fave 🙂
A few simple ingredients goes a long way! Put everything together and this Spiced Pear and Almond Cake is ready in no time!
do the pears need to be ripe before baking?
This recipe calls for 2 medium sized anjou pears. These pears are pretty juicy and have a nice hint of citrus. The pears should be slightly firm and green in color.
Because the pears will be baked, it's best that they're slightly firm. If the pears are ripe/too soft, they'll be pretty mushy and the cake's texture will be a little weird - like apple sauce. Firm pears will ensure that the cake has a really nice texture while still adding a lot moisture and flavor.
what do I need to make spiced pear and almond cake?
- 9-inch Springform pan
- A good knife to chop up the pears
- Optional - a mandoline to slice the pears thinly
- Anti stick baking spray - I SWEAR by Pam's Perfect Release Baking Spray
how to make spiced pear and almond cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a bowl and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, and sugar and add almond extract, milk, and melted butter. Continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and fold together. Then fold in chopped pears. Spray a springform pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper. Add the batter.
- Thinly slice 2 pears vertically. Place on top of the batter (like in the pictures) and add chopped almonds. Bake for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes.
- Optional - dust with confectioners sugar!
how to serve this pear and almond cake
Incredibly enough, this spiced pear and almond cake is delicious by itself. I personally would recommend to serve this with a cup of vanilla ice cream, but that's if you want to add a decadent touch. Plus, ice cream makes literally everything better!
This cake is great with some tea or coffee too. It's one of the beautiful things about this recipe - it doesn't NEED to have anything with it. It speaks for itself and you'll be hooked at first bite!
more recipes to try!
If you have leftover pears, you'll definitely want to give these recipes a go!
HAVE WE CONNECTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA? IF NOT, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND INSTAGRAM!
Let's stay connected on social media and continue to cook together! Also, if you decide to make this recipe, please leave a star rating in the recipe card and leave a comment below! I hope that you love this recipe as much as we do!
The recipe and blog post for this Spiced Pear and Almond Cake was made in partnership with Minerva Dairy! I received compensation in exchange for this work. My opinions on their butter is genuine. If I didn't love their products, I would certainly mention it! Thanks for your continued support!