Apple Pie Filling
This homemade apple pie filling is perfect for apple pies, crisps, and cakes. It's easy and tastes way better than the store bought version!
Apple Peeler (optional)
- 1 ½ lbs Honeycrisp Apples
- 1 ½ lbs Granny Smith Apples
- 2 tbsps Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Cardamom (optional but recommended)
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Cloves
- 1 ¼ cup Apple Cider
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- 4 tbsps Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsps Salted Butter
First thing, peel and core the apples, then slice into ½ inch thick slices. Place sliced apples in a large pot with lemon juice, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg, and cardamom. Toss together and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Place pot onto the stove over medium heat and allow apples to cook down for 10 minutes, then add bourbon and 1 cup of apple cider, and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then simmer on low until apples are soft and liquid begins to reduce, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together 4 tbsps of corn starch with remaining ¼ cup of apple cider. Whisk together until smooth and pour into the apple pie filling and mix together. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, and then add butter and vanilla extract. Stir together and allow it to cool. (It will thicken as it cools)
- This recipe makes enough for one 9-inch pie. Keep that in mind for your holiday baking and feel free to double or triple if making multiple pies!
- You DO NOT need to peel the skin off of the apple unless that is your preference. Apple slices with the skin do not bother me and cuts down the amount of time it takes. Sometimes I peel them, other times, I don't. It's totally up to you!
- If using this recipe to make apple pie, be sure to adjust your baking times accordingly. When you pre-cook the apple pie filling, the pie will bake a lot faster!
- The best way to ensure that your apple pie isn't runny is to pre-cook the filling - I highly recommend using this filling for the best apple pie recipe ever.
- Need a quick dessert? Scoop a little of the homemade filling into a bowl with vanilla ice cream for the perfect Fall treat!
- If you prefer not to use bourbon, you can omit it entirely.
Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 54g | Vitamin A: 227IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg