4 red barlett pears
3.5 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps sugar
2 tsps baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tsps kosher salt
2 sticks butter, cold
½ cup Pear juice (from barlett pears, see instructions below)
2 tbsps pear puree
Remainder of puree from the pears
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsps heavy cream
½ cup sugar
2 tbsps brown sugar
2 tsps Cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
- Add 4 red barlett pears to a food processor and blend until everything is smooth, no chunks. Put a strainer on top of a large bowl and add puree to strainer. Allow pear juice to drain. (This will yield at least 1.5-2 cups of pear juice). Set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt to food processor and blend. Cut up 2 sticks of butter and add to food processor and blend until there are no visible chunks of butter.
- Add flour mixture into a separate mixing bowl and add pear juice and pear puree and begin to work this into the dough. Knead dough until dough is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 pieces. Stack pieces on top of each other and roll out dough again (this is creating flaky layers) until dough is about 1 inch thick.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cut biscuit into desired shape. (I did 3x2 inches) and add to baking sheet. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Coat the tops of the biscuits with butter and add to oven and cook and reduce heat to 400 degrees farenheit and cook for 20-30 minutes, when the tops begin to brown.
- Puree: While the biscuits are baking, grab puree and pear juice and add the puree and a ⅓ cup of pear juice to a small saucepan. Add heavy cream, butter, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and stir until combined. Add sugar and a pinch of salt and nutmeg still until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once biscuits are finished, allow them to cool slightly. Break the biscuit in half and add a spoonful of puree mixture to the middle of the biscuit and put the top of the biscuit back on. Spoon puree mixture on top of the biscuit. Repeat for all biscuits!
- Eat 🙂