1 ½ pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
Seasonings: salt, pepper, thyme, red pepper flakes
1 red onion
5 gloves of garlic
1 ½ cups of mushrooms
3 tbsps of dijon mustard
1 cup of marsala wine
8 ounces of mascarpone
4 tbsps of fig jam
Puff Pastry dough (Here's how I made mine https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-puff-pastry-222312 - store bought works too!)
- Cut up chicken thighs and season with salt, pepper, 2 tbsps of fresh thyme, and 1 tsp of red pepper flakes. Let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Add olive oil and butter to a cast iron skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook until brown. Remove from the skillet and add in chopped onions and garlic. Allow these to caramelize and then add the mushrooms.
- Once mushrooms begin to soften, add Marsala wine and fresh chopped thyme. Allow this to cook together for about 5 minutes.
- When this begins to reduce and thicken, add mascarpone cheese, mix, and add in the chicken back in. Cook for 3-4 minutes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out puff pastry dough to about ¼ inch thick. Use enough dough to cover the bottom and sides of your cast iron skillet.
- Remove filling from the skillet and wipe clean. Then coat with olive oil.
- Add the pastry dough to the skillet and press lightly against the sides. Spread the fig jam on the bottom, ensuring that the bottom is covered.
- Add the filling on top of the fig jam and cook in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is browned and flaky on top. (I had leftover pastry dough so I made a quick pastry braid and added it to the top of the pie, but this is completely optional)
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Top with parsley to garnish.
- Eat 🙂