Recently, I've been doing a lot of research as to how I can make decadent recipes without all of the calories. One thing I found that seems to be a common factor in a lot of healthier recipes is almond flour. I've seen it used in both savory and sweet recipes and cuts the carbs by almost 60 to 70% for a lot of the recipes that's I've seen in comparison to those that use all purpose flour. Given that, I had a ton of overly ripe bananas that I didn't want to go to waste so I decided to come up with a healthier recipe for banana bread that's full of fiber, healthy sugars, omega fatty acids, and a taste that's out of this world. Check it out.
2 ½ very ripe bananas, they should be brown and spotty
1 cup of GF oats
1 cup of almond flour
1 tbsp tahini
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsps maple syrup
½ tbsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 cardamom pods
⅓ cup of coconut oil
½ cup of sliced almonds
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
Garnish - honey and flake salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the bread in a food processor and blend until mixture if smooth.
- Make a steam bath for the banana bread by putting water in a pan and adding it to the bottom rack of the oven. This will make steam while the banana bread is cooking and will make the bread very moist.
- Line a 9 x 5 baking pan with parchment paper OR add oil and tap GF flour around to dust the pan so that the batter does not stick to the pan.
- Add batter to the pan and tap on the counter to prevent air bubbles. Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour - until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When bread is finished, keep the bread in the oven and turn it off. Allow it to cool in the oven with the steam bath.
- In a skillet, over medium high heat, drizzle olive oil and add in sliced almonds. Constantly toss around with spatula so that the almonds do not burn. Add brown sugar and continue to stir. Remove from heat once almonds begin to brown and continue to stir until brown sugar begins to coat the almonds. Sprinkle in salt.
- Remove bread from oven, drizzle honey on top and sprinkle toasted almonds over the bread. Top with flake salt, optional.
- Eat 🙂